After months of development, my package of soundscape indices is available at CRAN! The long process included translating methods sections from papers to code, Matlab scripts to R, as well as learning how to code all the metadata that R packages need.
The package is called soundecology and it includes the following indices:
- Acoustic Complexity Index (Pieretti, et al. 2011)
- Bioacoustic Index (Boelman et al. 2007)
- Normalized Difference Soundscape Index (REAL and Kasten et al. 2011)
- Acoustic Diversity Index (Villanueva-Rivera et al. 2011)
- Acoustic Eveness Index (using the Gini index) (Villanueva-Rivera et al. 2011)
It is available for Windows, Linux and OS X, although it could take a couple of days for all the mirrors to get a copy. Please check the main page of the package or the page at CRAN for more details, including an introduction vignette that shows how to use it.
As an interesting fact about R, Professor Brian Ripley reported that CRAN got to 5,000 packages hosted last week.